BEWARE OF IRREGULAR PRACTICES IN THE DOMESTIC HAND SANITISER AND DISINFECTANT VALUE CHAIN DURING COVID-19
It is apparent that various activities in the domestic South African chemicals value chain may be occurring that could adversely impact public safety, and impact prices of hand sanitisers and disinfectants purchased by consumers.
Please note that:
- With demand for alcohols increasing by 800%, Sasol has implemented measures to ensure that products are distributed equitably between customers, including established enterprises as well as small-to-medium enterprises
- Prices for Sasol’s High Purity Ethanol (HPE), Denatured HPE blend (HPE/IPA blend) and Ethylol 95 (a mixed ethanol alcohol) have remained stable since the outbreak of Covid-19 in South Africa.
- As a response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Sasol continues to prioritise supply of alcohols to suppliers to government institutions or any other entities that the government may identify as a priority in responding to the pandemic.
- There are indications that counterfeit sanitisers or disinfectants are now entering the market and that illicit and unsafe practices may be occurring with alcohol feedstocks.
- As a responsible manufacturer, and in the interests of public safety, Sasol has implemented additional measures to ensure that its High Purity Ethanol (HPE), Denatured HPE blend (HPE/IPA blend) and Ethylol 95 are supplied to customers who meet certain legal compliance standards.
- These measures apply to all customers for the above products, including manufacturers, distributors/re-sellers and companies engaged in spot exports.
Please send an email to us at BaseChemicalsAlcoholforSanitizers@sasol.com if you receive suspicious offers for Sasol’s alcohol products or have any concerns about alcohol products that you believe may have originated from Sasol.