Secunda, Mpumalanga – Today, Sasol in collaboration with the Osizweni Science Centre, its education flagship project, hosted the 24th annual Grade 12 Merit Awards ceremony.
The Sasol Grade 12 Merit Awards acknowledge and celebrate the best performing learners in Govan Mbeki, Lekwa and Dipaleseng municipalities. The awards also recognise the best performing teachers and schools in these areas, particularly those who performed well in Mathematics and Science.
The awards are given out to learners who have obtained three to eight distinctions, overall top achievers from quintile 1 -3 schools (non-fee schools) and quintile 4 schools.
A total of 82 learners received merit award certificates, as well as cash prizes for their outstanding performance.
Awards were handed out in the following categories:
- Top 15 achievers (Level 6 +) in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools (non-fee schools) in Govan Mbeki Municipality (GMM)
- Top 10 achievers (Level 6+) in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools in Lekwa Municipality
- Top 5 achievers (Level 6+) in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools in Dipaleseng Municipality
- Top 5 achievers in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 4 schools
- Overall Best Educator in Mathematics
- Overall Best Educator in Physical Science
- Best Educator in Mathematics from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools
- Best Educator in Physical Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools
- Overall Best Educator in Mathematics (for each of the six circuits)
- Overall Best Educator in Physical Science (for each of the six circuits)
- Sasol Secunda Management Excellence awards for:
- 2018 Top 3 most improved schools in Quintile 1-3 supported schools
- Overall Most improved school
- Top Performing school in Mathematics and Science
- Overall Best performer school per municipality
- Top achiever learner from Quintile 1-3 supported schools (All circuits)
- Overall top achiever.
Each top achiever received a sum of R15 000 towards registration at institutions of higher learning. Learners who obtained more than three distinctions received R1 000 for each distinction.
“Sasol views education as an enabler to improving the lives of people in our communities., Through our flagship project with Osizweni Science Centre, we have been providing teacher development and educational support to learners doing science and mathematics with the intention to enable top performance in these subject,” said Simon Baloyi, Acting Senior Vice President: Sasol Secunda Synfuels Operations.
Sasol may, in this document, make certain statements that are not historical facts that relate to analyses and other information which are based on forecasts of future results and estimates of amounts not yet determinable. These statements may also relate to our future prospects, developments and business strategies. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding exchange rate fluctuations, volume growth, increases in market share, total shareholder return, executing our growth projects (including LCCP), oil and gas reserves and cost reductions, including in connection with our BPEP, RP and our business performance outlook. Words such as “believe”, “anticipate”, “expect”, “intend", “seek”, “will”, “plan”, “could”, “may”, “endeavour”, “target”, “forecast” and “project” and similar expressions are intended to identify such forward-looking statements, but are not the exclusive means of identifying such statements. By their very nature, forward-looking statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties, both general and specific, and there are risks that the predictions, forecasts, projections and other forward-looking statements will not be achieved. If one or more of these risks materialise, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, our actual results may differ materially from those anticipated. You should understand that a number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from the plans, objectives, expectations, estimates and intentions expressed in such forward-looking statements. These factors are discussed more fully in our most recent annual report on Form 20-F filed on 28 August 2018 and in other filings with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission. The list of factors discussed therein is not exhaustive; when relying on forward-looking statements to make investment decisions, you should carefully consider both these factors and other uncertainties and events. Forward-looking statements apply only as of the date on which they are made, and we do not undertake any obligation to update or revise any of them, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Please note: One billion is defined as one thousand million. bbl – barrel, bscf – billion standard cubic feet, mmscf – million standard cubic feet, oil references brent crude, mmboe – million barrels oil equivalent. All references to years refer to the financial year 30 June. Any reference to a calendar year is prefaced by the word “calendar”.
Comprehensive additional information is available on our website: www.sasol.com